Monday, January 19, 2009

Connecticut's hottest dj

I can't believe we actually did this, but we booked our dj without even talking to him, let alone hearing/seeing his work.

For 2 people as obsessed w/ data and research as JC & I, to not even interview or research another "music" option for our wedding seems crazy at best, scary at worst. The music is half the party! JC & I both hate the traditional "wedding songs" and we have different taste in music so I was concerned that this would be one of our toughest decisions. Nope.

Every vendor we've spoken to in CT has referred us to the same person: DJ Doug Jastremski of Power Posse Productions (yes, that is actually the name...apparently he started the company when he was 14 with a boombox and some cassette tapes he recorded off the radio). Caterers, florists, photographers...everyone knows DJ Doug. In small towns like Mystic and Stonington, people in the same industry (Weddings) have probably worked with everyone else at one time or another. They are really quick and happy to give referrals and let you know if they think another vendor would be a "good fit" for your personality and wedding style. During every vendor meeting we've had so far, when the subject of music came up the first and sometimes ONLY reference we got was, "Oh, you have to book DJ Doug." or "You should call Power Posse Productions as soon as possible." Really??

So last week I left a message for DJ Doug and got a prompt return call from Mia in his office (30 minutes on the phone and I find out Mia is Doug's wife). Surprisingly, they don't have a website or media package but apparently they only work off referrals, do no advertising, and are slammed with business. Doug did the Victoria's Secret fashion show after party, Kevin Bacon's 20th wedding anniversary (ha! 2 degrees of separation), a Rockefeller wedding, and a party for Justin Timberlake at 50 Cent's CT mansion, among other big names. They have a small staff of dj's and production people but fortunately, Doug was actually open for September 6 so Mia penciled us in and told me she'd send out a hard copy of their proposal. In the time it took to get the package, we were referred back to him by 3 more vendors. Time to make the call.

Ok, I literally just got off the phone with Doug and he's great. Done deal. Actually, I spent 45 minutes on the phone w/ Doug and then called Mia and I just got off the phone w/ her after another 45 minute conversation. I love these two! I feel completely confident that our wedding is going to be so much fun and you're all going to have the best time ever!

1 comment:

Kate Walsh, APRN said...

So, how was DJ Doug. I'm looking to book a DJ for my Mystic wedding.

Related Posts with Thumbnails