Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Caterer

We’ve made our decision and couldn’t be more excited! For anyone who’s ever been “entertained” by us, you probably recognize how important food is to both JC & I so we knew choosing a caterer would be the most difficult part of this process (yes, more important than even my dress!). I think if JC were left to his own devices he would actually attempt to cater our wedding himself. As it is, he’s already making all of the beer. I’m still not sure I’ve talked him out of bartending.

We interviewed the 3 local caterers (who’ve all worked weddings at Saltwater Farm) that the vineyard owner recommended. I had a looooooong phone conversation with each of them before scheduling the tastings. Here’s a little bit of advice: don’t plan 3-course dinner tastings the days before AND after Thanksgiving. I also don’t recommend a 9am dinner tasting, no matter how much you like filet mignon.

Anna, the owner of Gourmet Galley, was the first caterer I spoke to and was really great about fitting us into her schedule the afternoon before Thanksgiving, since JC & I were going to be in Connecticut. She worked w/ her chef to put together our menu on just 3 days notice. We met Anna and her chef at her house, where she has a full catering kitchen built on as an addition. Everything was amazing, but I think we didn’t realize how impressive it was until we had finished the other two tastings. The dishes were all obviously prepared to order for just JC & I, but the other two caterers actually tasted like “catered” food, rather than made-to-order restaurant fare.

It took almost two months (holidays and all) of going back and forth drafting menus and proposals, but we decided to go with Anna and Gourmet Galley because of the quality of the food, their approach to service, and willingness to work with us on the menu. JC has opinions (lots of opinions) about what we’d like to serve and how we’d like the food presented and Anna loves it. I’m really excited to work with her as we get closer to finalizing the menu and JC & I both feel completely comfortable letting her run our big day.

Next up: CAKE TASTING!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How did your day go? Was Gormet Galley as good with execution as they are with food?

Related Posts with Thumbnails